keyboard, coffee and headphones on a desk

Share Your Story; Above Average Nate

8th March 2018

Welcome back to another week of the “Share Your Story” series. Last week I introduced you to the beautiful Sam from Never Enough Time. Sam spoke honestly about how she felt returning to work after Maternity Leave and how she enjoyed it.
This week we have Nate from Above Average Nate, who is sharing his story on why he started running.

Above Average Nate

Nate Johnson has the aspirations to be a world-renowned writer. He continues to challenge to improve himself. Nate enjoys to read, run, and ramble. Nate is somewhere in the world living the dream. He is the author of Above Average Stories,101 Haikus, and 91 Books to Change Your Life. (Available on Amazon)

Nate and his mum“Why I started running”

I started my running journey when I was fourteen. The year before (2008), I saw my mom finish the Med-City marathon. That day, I had slept in, ate breakfast, played in the pool, and was waiting to go home. I saw my mom running to the finish and went over telling her to hurry up and run faster. She pushed me out-of-the-way. From that moment, I figured I could run a marathon. If my mom could run one, I thought how hard could it actually be?

In the winter of 2009, my mom signed us up for “The Monster Series”. It consisted of a variety of races, ranging from a 5K to marathon race distances. The cool thing was you got a jacket for completing the series! My first race was a Valentine’s 5K. My time was twenty-six or twenty-seven minutes, I think. I ran with my mom until she me let sprint it in and passed many people, I felt on cloud nine.

Throughout the winter, I ran with a training group building up towards my first half marathon.

Training had its ups and downs. Some runs would go by fast, while others I would get frustrated running with my mom and would just walk it in.

My first half marathon was the Indianapolis mini-marathon. My goal time was 1:45. I enjoyed the race and got to kiss the bricks on the Indy 500. My time was around 1:50. I ran with my mom until the last mile. Again, I felt super fast coming down the stretch into the finish line.

Around this time, I kept upping my Saturday long runs. From 12 to 14 to 16. My mom thought that I could run the full marathon. So I got bumped up the full Minneapolis Marathon.

Here is what my training consisted of my for first marathon.
  • Monday: Run the Mile, 800, and 4x 400 at middle school track meet.
  • Tuesday-Thursday: Hang out by shot put pit talking with friends goofing off
  • Friday: 3 mile run with the track coach.
  • Saturday: Long run with Team Ortho
  • Sunday: Rest Day

Now that was a bad training plan. In my mind, I figured I’ll suck it up and it wouldn’t be too hard. Besides, I was young and pretty fit. How hard could it be?

Photo of All the RunnersMarathon #1:

I woke up bright and early on Marathon day. It was still pitch black leaving the drive way. It was nice to sleep in my own bed the night before the race. My mom and I got to the race start. Going into the race, I was telling everyone I wanted to break five hours in the marathon. As we were lining up I piped up saying “Let’s break four hours today!”. So we lined up with the 4 hour pacer.

The race began. It was smooth sailing for the first few miles. At the first water stop, I lost my mom for a few minutes. I was freaking out in my mind:

  • What am I going to do?
  • How am I going to stay on pace?
  • Do I just try to run ahead and find her?
  • Should I drop out?

I found her a few moments later and we continued on. From then on I stayed right next to her throughout the rest of the water stops. I was still feeling fine through the first half of the race. My dad and sister came out to cheer us on and brought Gatorade.

At mile 20, just like clockwork, I hit “THE WALL”.

My legs felt heavy, my body was cramping up, and I felt like crap. I stopped at porta-a-potties just to give my feet a break. I broke down. This marathon thing was tough. My mom even called my grandpa Wayne to keep me going. The last miles, two guys past us. She told me to go get them. I found a spring in my step and I sprinted up two LARGE STEEP hills. Passed the two guys and finished my first marathon.

Afterwards, my body gave out. While my mom waited to get my medal engraved, I collapsed on a random table looking like I passed out. I don’t remember walking to the car. To top it off, when we tried to leave the parking garage, it was credit card only when my mom only had cash. We got home and I took a fantastic shower, ate pizza and cake, and passed out for the rest of the day.

Nate Running to Finish LineThanks Nate for sharing your positive and motivational story! And well done on the Marathon. 

If you have enjoyed reading Nate’s story then do show him some love on his social sites:


Be The First To Read My Posts. Fill in the Form Below!