Please note this page contains affiliate links.
I love baking with Reuben, but I can also find it stressful at times.
Reuben loves baking, he gets so excited but with that excitement comes a lack of listening.
He decides that everything needs to be his way and who cares about a recipe.
I have learned it is far easier to get all the ingredients ready before he comes in, if he weighs the ingredients I end up in a cloud of flour!
So, at the weekend we decided we would have a bake day.
The weather was a bit crap so we weren’t going out any time soon and we hadn’t baked for a while.
Thanks to the BBC Good Food Cookbook we found a perfect and simple recipe to try out.
As normal, Reuben wanted to try everything. On its own.
I said he could lick the spoon at the end but oh no, this was not OK with Reuben.
He tipped in the sugar and grabbed a handful and put it in his mouth. Seriously, who does that?
Once I got the sugar out and got him to wash his mouth we carried on. He picked up the butter to put in the bowl and wanted to try a butter cube. Um, seriously, are you mad? Obviously it was a stern no.
It went on like this for the whole time we were making the mixture, and then when the mixture was made he was just spooning it into his mouth! We had to move everything so that he stopped! I’m surprised that we had enough mixture to make the cakes.
The cakes were absolutely delicious. We filled half of the cakes with strawberry jam and the other half apricot.
Fancy giving them a try?
- 200g softened butter plus 3 tbsp melted
- 200g sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 300g self-raising flour
- 100ml milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 12 tsp strawberry jam (1/2 a jar)
- 3-4 sugar cubes, crushed
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Beat together the softened butter, sugar, eggs, flour, milk and baking powder in a large bowl. Beat together until you have a smooth batter.
- Line a 12 hole bun tin with cases. Fill the cases two-thirds full with the batter. Then make a small dip in the batter and add 1 tsp jam into the dip. cover with another tsp of cake batter and repeat for the remaining cupcakes. bake in the oven for 25 mins until risen and cooked through.
- Brush some melted butter over each cake then sprinkle with the crushed sugar and serve.
Please note that there may be affiliate links on this page. Please refer to my disclaimer page for info.